- A yellowish-brown mineral which occurs in some igneous rocks and consists of a phosphate of yttrium and other rare earth elements.
More example sentences
- Composition: native yttrium phosphate
- Zircon, monazite, xenotime and white mica were extracted from the sample.
- Other accessory minerals are apatite, zircon, monazite, huttonite and rare xenotime, uraninite and betafite.
- Pale brown to yellow xenotime and zircon are abundant as fine crystals up to 2 mm in length in many of the miarolitic granite cavities as well as in pegmatite pockets.
mid 19th century: from xeno-, apparently erroneously for Greek kenos 'vain, empty', + timē 'honour' (because it was wrongly supposed to contain a new metal).
More definitions of xenotimeDefinition of xenotime in:
- The US English dictionary