noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Abnormal dryness of the conjunctiva and cornea of the eye, with inflammation and ridge formation, typically associated with vitamin A deficiency.More example sentences
- A guide to their use in the treatment and prevention of vitamin A deficiency and xerophthalmia.
- Of these, 9 children had overt vitamin A deficiency as evident by the presence of xerophthalmia.
- This product has lost most of its vitamins A and D, which are needed to ward off xerophthalmia (an eye disease) and rickets.
More definitions of xerophthalmiaDefinition of xerophthalmia in:
- The US English dictionary