noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A volatile liquid hydrocarbon obtained by distilling wood, coal tar, or petroleum, used in fuels and solvents and in chemical synthesis.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: dimethylbenzene; chemical formula: C6H4(CH3)2; three isomers
- Petroleum fuels contain several toxic compounds, including benzene, toluene and xylene - all considered carcinogens.
- Fuels such as petroleum are mixtures of various hydrocarbons, and may contain benzene, toluene, xylene, and styrene, and other components.
- If you do insist on using solvents, avoid low-flash point solvents like gasoline, xylene, lacquer thinner, etc. which are dangerously flammable.
More definitions of xyleneDefinition of xylene in:
- The US English dictionary