noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A sweet-tasting crystalline alcohol derived from xylose, present in some plant tissues and used as an artificial sweetener in foods.
- Chemical formula: CH2OH(CHOH)3CH2OH
More example sentences
- Sugar alcohols, including xylitol, mannitol, sorbitol, lactitol and maltitol, do not promote tooth decay or sudden spikes in blood sugar.
- And for some products, sugar alcohols such as xylitol, glycerine and other sweeteners such as lo-han and stevia have replaced cane sugar in bars and drinks to bring down their carb counts.
- Take a toothbrush to work for a quick after-lunch cleanup, or chew sugarless gum between meals; some brands contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, which inhibits bacteria growth.
Definition of xylitol in:
- The US English dictionary