- A rude, noisy, or violent person.More example sentences
barbarian, philistine, vulgarian, savage, brute, beast, boor, oaf, ruffian, thug, lout, hoodlum, hooligan, vandal, rowdy, bully boy, brawlerScottish • informal radgeNorth American • informal lummoxAustralian/New Zealand • informal hoon
- The young people, they have no religion, and the yahoos are coming home to roost.
- When will the Left learn that this is not simply a nation of dimwitted yahoos?
- Doesn't this simply reflect that the soccer hooligans and other yahoos have turned it into a symbol of bigotry?
mid 18th century: from the name of an imaginary race of brutish creatures in Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726).
- Expressing great joy or excitement: yahoo—my plan worked!More example sentences
- I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!
- After months of eating raw fish, facing thirst, sharks, and other terrors, Pi finds himself on an island - yahoo!
natural exclamation: first recorded in English in the 1970s.