Definition of yam in English:
1The edible starchy tuber of a climbing plant, widely distributed in tropical and subtropical countries.
- Trucks selling yams, widely used as a tonic, can be seen along the provincial highway in Nantou County.
- True yams are a starchy tuber that is a staple crop in many parts of the tropics; they are seldom grown in the United States.
- The tuber from the wing-stalked yam is a valuable source of diosgenin.
2The plant which yields the yam.
- Genus Dioscorea, family Dioscoreaceae: many species
- Men clear the bush and plant the yams with the help of the women and the children.
- They also grow taro and yams, bananas, ginger, tobacco and colorful cucumbers.
- In certain regions corn, rice, groundnuts, vegetables, and yams are cultivated.
3North American A sweet potato.
- These days you can just about guarantee that any yams you see in your grocery store are really sweet potatoes.
- The vegetables generally sold as yams in supermarkets here are moist, orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, such as the red skinned Garnet and the brown-skinned Jewel.
- Trade your spuds in for Japanese sweet potatoes, Jersey Sweets (also called white sweet potatoes) or red garnets or jewel yams, which provide more nutritional bang for your buck.
Words that rhyme with yamam, Amsterdam, Assam, Bram, cam, cham, cheongsam, clam, cram, dam, damn, drachm, dram, exam, femme, flam, gam, glam, gram, ham, jam, jamb, lam, lamb, mam, mesdames, Omar Khayyám, Pam, pram, pro-am, ram, Sam, scam, scram, sham, Siam, slam, Spam, swam, tam, tram, Vietnam, wham
Definition of yam in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.