- That's enough ganglia to mime an opera of emotions: a yammer of remorse, perhaps, or a blunt ‘sit on it.’
- There, Confederate suddenly comes to life with a yammer and a hiss, the clang of metal being shaped by men whose grease- and nicotine-stained hands are both rough and knowing.
- At the moment the TVs broadcast a repeating loop of one of the Guerilla News Network's pastiched send-ups of Bush's war yammer from last year - another scathing and witty but oft-screened bit of insurgent Final Cut Pro handiwork.
- Swarms of scooters yammered hysterically past, sounding like runaway chainsaws.
- Dolly the Mega-Cat delivered her verdict on the day very early this morning, yowling and yammering to be let in.
- There's even a choir of tweeting birds in the backyard now - for all I know they've been yammering on all afternoon, but when the sun's out you somehow hear them better.
- I could just yammer on long enough now to make it so that you'll have to scroll down to see it.
- Mark slammed the door to the manor; he was tired of listening to his father yammer on.
- The ride home was noisy, Corrie keeping the conversation alive by yammering on about whatever came to her mind.
- Example sentences
- It's all very easy for people to yammer on about the unfairness of bans (not you Bec… I'd not call you a yammerer) but what are these people doing to change the very basic laws?
- As one who has moved up from mere yammerer to humble cousin by virtue of now being paid to write reviews, rather than just offering my hasty, instinctive opinion here, I take issue with this dismissive, short-sighted and condescending attitude.
- That may be, at least in part, because network news anchors and cable TV news yammerers are too busy all talking about the same things, you know, the war, the deficit, the Patriot Act, the Super Bowl.
Late Middle English (as a verb meaning 'lament, cry out'): alteration of earlier yomer, from Old English geōmrian 'to lament', suggested by Middle Dutch jammeren.
Words that rhyme with yammerAlabama, clamour (US clamor), crammer, gamma, glamour (US glamor), gnamma, grammar, hammer, jammer, lamber, mamma, rammer, shammer, slammer, stammer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: yam¦mer
Definition of yammer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.