2.1 historical A Federal soldier in the Civil War.
- As the Roman god Janus looks in two directions, so did the homebound Yankee soldiers.
- With their swords and muskets raised the Yankee soldier began killing every confederate soldier in sight.
- Matthew McConaughey would be perfect as Dennis, if he didn't have to play a Yankee in a civil war reenactment.
3A bet on four or more horses to win (or be placed) in different races.
- For sheer excitement it would be hard to surpass the M.D.Betting Yankee stake final at Newbridge Friday.
- I had £32 running on to Hateel, the 11/8 favourite and shortest-odds horse in my Yankee, in the Listed Glorious Stakes at 3.45.
4 (also Yankee jib) Sailing A large jib set forward of a staysail in light winds.
- Far from being an isolated port, one early nineteenth-century view of Monterey harbor shows a Russian brig, a Yankee schooner, and another ship at anchor.
- I went forward and lowered the staysail so that it did not blanket the wind from the small, Yankee jib.
- Before we left Cape Town we bent on the storm mainsail and set a Yankee jib in the groove of the furling gear.
Mid 18th century: origin uncertain; recorded in the late 17th century as a nickname; perhaps from Dutch Janke, diminutive of Jan 'John'.
Words that rhyme with Yankeecranky, Frankie, hanky, hanky-panky, lanky, manky, swanky
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Yan¦kee
Definition of Yankee in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.