verb (yaps, yapping, yapped)[no object]
- 1Give a sharp, shrill bark: the dachshunds yapped at his heelsMore example sentences
- She could hear Avalanche begin to yap at the door and Valentine started to bark as well.
- She had her arms wrapped around his neck and Iggy yapping at her heels as he paced about.
- A Dachshund yapped behind a wrought iron gate in the courtyard I traversed.
- 1.1 • informal Talk at length in an irritating manner: he sat in a coffee shop yapping with his buddiesMore example sentences
chatter, prattle, prate, gibber, babble, blather, blether, blither, gabble, gossip, rattle, ramble, maunder; go on, run on, talk at length, talk incessantly, talk a lot; British talk nineteen to the dozen; Scottish & Irish slabber onNorth American • informal run off at the mouthAustralian/New Zealand • informal mag
- Then I started yapping to someone else about Kraftwerk, when I realised that the lights were dimming and it was time for Sparks to commence their second set of the night.
- We were up late last night drinking and yapping.
- Nell walked over to a group of guys so I was stuck listening to Curley Sue yap away.
nounBack to top
- 1A sharp, shrill bark: frenzied yaps of delightMore example sentences
- And there is no chorus of dogs, locked in yards alone, whose barks and yaps and howls, at most other times of the year, bounce from ridge to ridge, amplified by winds.
- All night the same cycle, a low deep bark and then the yap of the chihuahua.
- To further obfuscate matters, he hiccups, barks, yaps, and swallows his rhymes.
- 2North American • informal A person’s mouth: he should keep his yap shutMore example sentences
- Don't apologize for telling a player to shut their yap when they talk at the wrong time!
- The result is that Cassius Broaster sits in a federal jail cell with little to do but keep his big yap shut.
- All I needed them to do was help me get $223 worth of beer and keep their yaps shut about it.
- 2.1 [mass noun] Loud, irritating talk: she’ll give you a lot of yapMore example sentences
- My first taste of the Fringe Festival came in the form of Baba Brinkman's chattering yap.
- If they can't see that it's the lack of political yap yap that has done it for the Tories then there really is no hope.
- More example sentences
- The dog that's in the house was known to be a yapper and did not make any noise.
- I served to protect your free speech, so shut your yapper and don't write things I don't like to read!
- It is one thing to try to ignore Rush and Fox, pretend they are yappers and you are the ‘real’ media.
early 17th century (denoting a dog that yaps): imitative.