(also yaupon holly)
- A North American holly, the leaves of which have emetic properties and were formerly used as a tea by American Indians.
More example sentences
- Ilex vomitoria, family Aquifoliaceae
- Small trees resistant to cotton root rot include Jerusalem thorn, yaupon and wild olive.
- Native plants, like wax myrtle varieties of yaupon hollies to name a few, are popular plants for southern gardens.
- But even ‘evergreen’ yaupons drop old leaves to make way for new.
early 18th century: a North American Indian word.
More definitions of yauponDefinition of yaupon in:
- The US English dictionary