A tropical American plant of the arum family which is cultivated for its edible tubers.
- Genus Xanthosoma, family Araceae: several species, in particular the tannia
More example sentences
- Species grown mainly for their tubers are: Xanthosoma sagittifolium (yellow yautia), whose small cormels around the central corm are called ‘nut eddos’ in the W. Indies; and X. violaceum (primrose malanga).
- One traditional method of preparing this soup calls for large pieces of pumpkin and diced potatoes or yautias (the starchy root of a large-leaved tropical plant whose flesh is usually yellow or creamy white).
- Peel the yautia and green plantains.
late 19th century: American Spanish, from Maya yaaj 'wound, poison' + té 'mouth' with reference to its caustic properties.
Definition of yautia in:
- The US English dictionary