- Genus Saccharomyces, subdivision Ascomycotina.
- The yeast cells in the envelope of yeast are the cells that do the work in your loaf of bread.
- I heard and watched the students grasp the understanding of how yeast absorbs sugar.
- The yeast uses this sugar in the same way it uses the glucose in white sugar.
- As beer brewers do with yeast, the Wiandts drop bits of mycelia into a malt sugar solution.
- The inclusion of yeast results in fermentation and causes the dough to rise, if it is left in a warm place.
- To make dough, allow yeast to stand in a small bowl until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- In budding and fission yeasts, life span is defined by the methods used to measure it.
- Unlike other fungi, budding and fission yeasts lack endogenous DNA methylation.
- Candida species are polymorphic and can form colonies containing budding yeasts, pseudohyphae, and true hyphae.
- Example sentences
- Thrush is an infection in the mouth caused by a yeast-like organism called Candida albicans.
- Candidiasis is an infection caused by Candida, a yeast-like fungus.
- Pneumocystis carinii is a parasitic, sometimes pathogenic, yeast-like fungus found in the lungs of laboratory rats.
Old English, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch gist and German Gischt 'froth, yeast', from an Indo-European root shared by Greek zein 'to boil'.
Words that rhyme with yeastarriviste, artiste, batiste, beast, dirigiste, east, feast, least, Mideast, modiste, northeast, piste, priest, southeast, uncreased, unreleased
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: yeast
Definition of yeast in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.