Entry from US English dictionary
1A yellow pigment that usually contains limonite, a yellowish-brown oxide of iron.
- The hues, one to a box, ranged widely, including signal red, cadmium blue and yellow ocher.
- Additional details are painted with an earth-toned palette of clay red, burnt umber, yellow ocher, and black.
- Of the fraktur with an inorganic yellow colorant, two were identified as chrome yellow, one as yellow ocher, and four as orpiment.
1.1A moderate orange color with yellow overtones.
- An array of pale blue, orange, sienna and yellow ocher hues illuminate the scene, as the dynamic thrust of the composition suggests an implosion.
- Yellow ochers are no more standard in nature than the reds.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: yel·low o·cher
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.