Definition of yellow-tail in English:
1 (also yellow-tail moth) A white tussock moth with a tuft of yellow hairs on the tip of the abdomen. The caterpillars have irritant hairs and can be a pest of fruit trees.
- Euproctis similis, family Lymantriidae
- Yellow-tails - both sexes have a white body with a yellow anal tuft, which is often visible when the moth is at rest.
- The Yellow-tail (Euproctis similis) is a moth of the family Lymantriidae.
2 (usually yellowtail) (plural same or yellowtails) A marine fish which has yellow coloration on the tail, especially a fish of the jack family.
- Several species, especially of the genus Seriola, family Carangidae
- For the yellowtail jack: Season fish with salt and pepper.
- A smaller and more spread-out shoal of yellow-tail snappers cruise in and out, the dense shoals of saupe and bream parting to let them through.
- I get back to the boat and find that the usual yellow-tail snappers have been displaced from the shadow under the boat by a local character called Elvis, a very large great barracuda.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.