Definition of yellow-tail in English:
1 (also yellow-tail moth) A white tussock moth with a tuft of yellow hairs on the tip of the abdomen. The caterpillars have irritant hairs and can be a pest of fruit trees.
- Euproctis similis, family Lymantriidae
- Yellow-tails - both sexes have a white body with a yellow anal tuft, which is often visible when the moth is at rest.
- The Yellow-tail (Euproctis similis) is a moth of the family Lymantriidae.
2 (usually yellowtail) (plural same or yellowtails) A marine fish which has yellow coloration on the tail, especially a fish of the jack family.
- Several species, especially of the genus Seriola, family Carangidae
- For the yellowtail jack: Season fish with salt and pepper.
- A smaller and more spread-out shoal of yellow-tail snappers cruise in and out, the dense shoals of saupe and bream parting to let them through.
- I get back to the boat and find that the usual yellow-tail snappers have been displaced from the shadow under the boat by a local character called Elvis, a very large great barracuda.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia