- A common Eurasian bunting, the male of which has a yellow head, neck, and breast.
More example sentences
- Emberiza citrinella, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- Snipe, red buntings, yellowhammers and even kingfishers are supposedly hereabouts.
- The conventional plots also held more weed seeds, which are important to birds such as skylarks and yellowhammers.
- Through the glass door to the step outside, two dozen yellowhammers and sparrows picked up seeds thrown on the snowy concrete.
mid 16th century: -hammer is perhaps from Old English amore (a kind of bird), possibly conflated with hama 'feathers'.
More definitions of yellowhammerDefinition of yellowhammer in:
- The US English dictionary