- She let out a yelp of pain as her shoulder connected with the sharp corner of the wood table.
- Matthew let out a yelp of pain and fell to the floor next to the unconscious Leo.
- I barely stifled a yelp of pain as she threw her arms around my aching ribs.
- The man two had tried to choke her, kicked her hard and she yelped like an injured dog.
- Gone is the silly robot dog that I wanted to see yelping around with its leg in a bear trap.
- We screamed and yelped and hugged each other tightly to relieve some of the unwanted stress.
- Example sentences
- True, Britney's got better pipes than these eager yelpers.
- Most of the ‘yelpers’ had sidekicks who were smaller and backed up the hearty yell with their own high-pitched style, letting the others know they rolled with a pack.
- The simple fact is, roughly 13-foot tall yelper Angus Andrew is a striking enough physical presence that he could probably just work without any music at all and still be a show and a half unto himself.
Old English g(i)elpan (verb) 'to boast', from a Germanic imitative base. From late Middle English 'cry or sing with a loud voice' the current sense arose in the 16th century.
Words that rhyme with yelphelp, kelp, whelp
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: yelp
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.