- She let out a yelp of pain as her shoulder connected with the sharp corner of the wood table.
- Matthew let out a yelp of pain and fell to the floor next to the unconscious Leo.
- I barely stifled a yelp of pain as she threw her arms around my aching ribs.
- The man two had tried to choke her, kicked her hard and she yelped like an injured dog.
- Gone is the silly robot dog that I wanted to see yelping around with its leg in a bear trap.
- We screamed and yelped and hugged each other tightly to relieve some of the unwanted stress.
- Example sentences
- True, Britney's got better pipes than these eager yelpers.
- Most of the ‘yelpers’ had sidekicks who were smaller and backed up the hearty yell with their own high-pitched style, letting the others know they rolled with a pack.
- The simple fact is, roughly 13-foot tall yelper Angus Andrew is a striking enough physical presence that he could probably just work without any music at all and still be a show and a half unto himself.
Old English g(i)elpan (verb) 'to boast', from a Germanic imitative base. From late Middle English 'cry or sing with a loud voice' the current sense arose in the 16th century.
Words that rhyme with yelphelp, kelp, whelp
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.