(also yew tree) A coniferous tree which has red berry-like fruits, and most parts of which are highly poisonous. Yews are linked with folklore and superstition and can live to a great age; the timber is used in cabinetmaking and (formerly) to make longbows.
- Genus Taxus, family Taxaceae: several species, in particular T. baccata of Europe
More example sentences
- Species with random branching, such as arborvitae, juniper, yew, and false cypress, have limbs that occur all along the trunk.
- Many of the needle evergreens including yew, arborvitae, hemlock, and incense cedar make fine hedges.
- Junipers and yews are the most commonly planted of the narrow-leaved evergreens.
Old English īw, ēow, of Germanic origin.
Definition of yew in:
- The US English dictionary