Definition of Yiddishism in English:
1A Yiddish word or idiom, especially one adopted into another language: I speak with many Brooklynisms and an occasional Yiddishism
More example sentences
- Throughout the 20c, Yiddishisms have continued to make their way into English, increasingly as slang.
- His speech was punctuated by Yiddishisms, Hebrew, Greek and Arabic.
- Yiddishist noun
- Yiddishism (sense 2).Example sentences
- He was inspired by the local poets to dedicate himself to Yiddish literature, which was then gaining prestige among socialists and Yiddishists as the authentic voice of the Jewish diaspora.
- The Yiddishists continued to hope for a continuation of their Yiddish cultural dream.
- The Yiddishist turned to his friend and said: ‘I'm afraid the Zionists are right.’
Definition of Yiddishism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.