- (In Chinese philosophy) the passive female principle of the universe, characterized as female and sustaining and associated with earth, dark, and cold. Contrasted with yang.More example sentences
- Traditional Chinese philosophy embraced these as yin and yang, each of which contain the seed of the other.
- Almost every film made, anywhere in the world, follows the spirit of the yin and the yang.
- These five elemental phases also correspond to the three yin and the three yang of the universe.
from Chinese yīn 'feminine', 'moon', 'shade'.
More definitions of yinDefinition of yin in:
- The US English dictionary