(Australian also zamia palm)
An American or Australian cycad, some kinds of which produce roots or seeds that are edible after careful preparation.
- Genera Zamia (of America) and Macrozamia (of Australia), family Zamiaceae
More example sentences
- This eco retreat is located at one end of the gorge and is surrounded by zamia palms and open lawns.
- Its name, incidentally, comes from the hardy and resilient zamia palm found in central Queensland.
- A kind of damper is made from the seeds or nuts from the female plants of cycads and zamia palms.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from zamiae, misreading (in Pliny) of azaniae 'pine cones'.
Definition of zamia in:
- The US English dictionary