(also zemindari or zamindary)
Definition of zamindari in English:
noun[mass noun] Indian historical
1The system under which zamindars held land.
- The zamindari system is still in vogue in many parts.
- Despite the abolition of the zamindari system, this region seems to have stood still in time, at least for some castes.
- Despite hailing from a zamindari background, she raised her voice against the tyranny of the zamindars.
1.1The office or territory of a zamindar.
- Plantations are equivalents of big zamindaris all along the Mississippi.
- In the former princely states, as also in the zamindaries till their abolition soon after independence, concubinage was a recognised custom.
- A number of old zamindaris changed hands owing to failure to pay the high demand and were auctioned to the highest bidders.
Definition of zamindari in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.