(also zemindari or zamindary)
Definition of zamindari in English:
noun[mass noun] Indian historical
1The system under which zamindars held land.
- The zamindari system is still in vogue in many parts.
- Despite the abolition of the zamindari system, this region seems to have stood still in time, at least for some castes.
- Despite hailing from a zamindari background, she raised her voice against the tyranny of the zamindars.
1.1The office or territory of a zamindar.
- Plantations are equivalents of big zamindaris all along the Mississippi.
- In the former princely states, as also in the zamindaries till their abolition soon after independence, concubinage was a recognised custom.
- A number of old zamindaris changed hands owing to failure to pay the high demand and were auctioned to the highest bidders.
Definition of zamindari in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan