noun (plural same)
- A large predatory freshwater perch native to northern and central Europe, where it is a valuable food fish. It has been introduced into Britain and western Europe. Also called pikeperch.
More example sentences
- Stizostedion lucioperca, family Percidae
- As the Cut Off was the first venue I fished for zander it will always have a special appeal, but sentimentality aside, it is well worth a visit.
- Although the water may look well coloured and in turmoil, fish like the zander are able see the slightest movement and you will catch fish.
- He is already drooling about a woman who prepares a zander - a variety of pike perch - in a red wine sauce.
mid 19th century: from German Zander.