Definition of zany in English:
adjective (zanier, zaniest)
Amusingly unconventional and idiosyncratic: his zany humour
More example sentences
- His zany humour took comedy to new heights of absurdity.
- We both liked making costumes and had a similarly zany sense of humour.
- For those with a zany sense of humor, the adventures of Lieutenant Frank Drebin were a laugh riot from beginning to end.
eccentric, bizarre, weird, peculiar, odd, quirky, avant-garde, unconventional, off-centre, strange, outlandish, ridiculous, ludicrous;
mad, insane, crazy, absurd, comic, comical, clownish, farcical, madcap, silly, light-hearted, funny, amusing, chucklesome, diverting, waggish, hilarious
informal wacky, screwy, nutty, nuts, crackpot, cracked, oddball, cranky, kinky, off the wall, way out, dippy, cuckoo
British informal daft
Australian/New Zealand informal , dated dilly
nounBack to top
1A zany person.
- We are looking for the zany, the serious, the artistic and ridiculous.
- I love students, what a zany, crazy bunch they are.
- Example sentences
- It often thinks wackiness or zaniness is a virtue.
- Surely this is British zaniness at its very best.
- While rumors of alcoholism and overall zaniness have circulated in the press, I think this just adds to Lula's mystique.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan