- He says there have always been religious zealots, but modern technology has given them a lethal capacity.
- The level of delusion here eclipses that of the most fanatical of religious zealots.
- Creationism often conjures visions of religious zealots who believe the book of Genesis verbatim.
- One can think of the 1st century situation in Palestine where Jewish Zealots would publicly slit the throats of Romans and their collaborators.
- After Herod's death in 4 BC, Masada was captured by the Romans, but in ad 66 Jewish Zealots took it by surprise and occupied it.
- The Jewish Zealots at Massada committed suicide rather than be defeated and taken into slavery by the Romans.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'member of an ancient Jewish sect'): via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek zēlōtēs, from zēloun 'be jealous', from zēlos (see zeal).
Words that rhyme with zealotappellate, Helot, prelate
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: zealot
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.