Definition of zealous in English:
Having or showing zeal: the council was extremely zealous in the application of the regulations
More example sentences
- This was an act committed by one zealous serving girl who sinned thereby.
- Such zealous passion would seem to be the natural preserve of that dangerous species, the young man.
- Ann Lee and her immediate entourage were unbowed in their zealous commitment.
committed, dedicated, enthusiastic, eager, keen, avid, sincere, wholehearted, hearty, earnest, vigorous, energetic, zestful, purposeful, forceful, intense, fierce, single-minded
informal go-ahead, pushy
- Example sentences
- Although Red protested his innocence and the victim was unable to identify him, the authorities zealously pursued the case.
- When the death penalty is being looked at, as it is in this case, there is no choice for Mark except to attack any and everything lawfully and zealously that he can.
- You would think that Britain, with a less rich architectural heritage to preserve than Italy, would preserve what it had all the more zealously.
- Example sentences
- Some who have testified say they're less worried that what they say will be leaked to the public than that it will get back to the agencies themselves, which are known for their zealousness in tracking down whistleblowers.
- If the EU Commission is thought to be acting with undue zealousness in the application of the pact it may work against the pro-euro cause in Britain, Denmark and Sweden.
- Her new zealousness has become very personal and directed at people who supported her.
Words that rhyme with zealousjealous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan