Definition of zebra in English:
1An African wild horse with black-and-white stripes and an erect mane.
- Genus Equus, family Equidae: three species, in particular the common zebra (E. burchellii)
- The Cape Colony extended systematic protection to elephants, giraffes, hippopotami, buffalo, zebras, quaggas and antelopes in 1886.
- This family, made up of the horses, asses and zebras, contains one genus with nine species.
- The route of the safari will allow visitors to see for themselves a wide variety of African wildlife including lions, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, chimpanzees and many other species.
2A large butterfly with pale stripes on a dark background, in particular:
- ● A yellow and black American butterfly (Heliconius charitonius, subfamily Heliconiinae, family Nymphalidae). ● (also Malayan zebra) A black and white Asian butterfly(Graphium delesserti, family Papilionidae).
- The refuge provides shelter and habitat for more than 300 butterfly species, including the zebra longwing, pipevine swallowtail, julia, and Mexican blue wing.
- The zebra longwing butterflies entertained me and a lot of other folks that summer and fall.
3 (also zebra fish) South African A silvery-gold sea bream with vertical black stripes.
- Diplodus cervinus, family Sparidae
- He brought to our attention the tiny zebra fish which could fully regenerate even severely damaged myocardium.
- It is a blending of DNA from a zebra fish and either a jellyfish or sea anemone.
- The company screens compounds for medical uses using zebra fish embryonic cells and fruitflies.