- 1An Indian plant related to turmeric, with an aromatic rhizome.
More example sentences
- Curcuma zedoaria, family Zingiberaceae
- A paste of a little zedoary and cream makes a good face mask and keeps the skin clear and shining.
- Turmeric helps you drink more, zedoary fixes up the hangover, and the turtle stuff adds vigor to your body.
- The medicinal part of zedoary is its rhizome, a fleshy stem that grows underground.
- 1.1 [mass noun] A ginger-like substance made from the zedoary rhizome, used in medicine, perfumery, and dyeing.More example sentences
- The rhizomes of zedoary are rich in starch, which is extracted from them in India as shoti starch.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin zedoarium, from Persian zadwār.
More definitions of zedoaryDefinition of zedoary in:
- The US English dictionary