noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- The principal protein of maize.More example sentences
- They showed that rats fed on zein, the major protein of maize endosperm, died of protein starvation.
- The researchers believed one approach was to develop a less expensive process to separate a valuable protein - zein - from corn.
- Unlike other corn proteins, which are water soluble, zein repels water, making it an ideal coating material.
early 19th century: from modern Latin Zea (genus name of maize) + -in1.
More definitions of zeinDefinition of zein in:
- The US English dictionary