Definition of zither in English:
A musical instrument consisting of a flat wooden soundbox with numerous strings stretched across it, placed horizontally and played with the fingers and a plectrum. It is used especially in central European folk music.
- They've grown up and want us to realise it; this album is more low key and features an impressive array of instruments including a ukulele, zithers, brass and strings.
- European zithers are all box zithers: that is, the soundboard forms the upper surface of a wooden resonator box.
- With harps, gourds, lutes and zithers, the album takes the listener on a journey through the band's life.
- Example sentences
- The bowed zither may seem strange, but is exactly what it appears to be - a violin for zitherists.
- Harpist and zitherists as a rule only use the thumb and three fingers.
- She was taught by her mother, Qu Yun, a well-known zitherist.
Words that rhyme with zitherdither, hither, slither, swither, thither, whither, wither
Definition of zither in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan