noun (plural zonae pellucidae /ˌzəʊniː pɪˈluːsɪdiː/)Anatomy & Zoology
- The thick transparent membrane surrounding a mammalian ovum before implantation.More example sentences
- At this stage the embryo releases itself from the zona pellucida still surrounding it, and implants into the uterine wall.
- The embryo must hatch out of the zona pellucida prior to implantation into the uterine wall.
- The secondary oocyte and the polar body remain surrounded by the zona pellucida and the cumulus oophorus.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'pellucid girdle'.
More definitions of zona pellucidaDefinition of zona pellucida in:
- The US English dictionary