- A method of purifying a crystalline solid, typically a semiconductor or metal, by causing a narrow molten zone to travel slowly along an otherwise solid rod or bar to one end, at which impurities become concentrated.More example sentences
- The Cd, Te, or CdTe is preferably added prior to zone refining at the leading end or head of the ingot.
- The technique of zone refining has been applied very successfully to the purification of metals and elements, especially in the semi-conductor field where very high purity is essential.
- The key parameters for zone refining, number of zone passes, zone length, translation rate will be optimized for each compound.
More definitions of zone refiningDefinition of zone refining in:
- The US English dictionary