An animal arising from another by budding or division, especially each of the individuals which make up a colonial organism and typically have different forms and functions.
- The most integrated colonies behave like individual organisms, for the zooids making up the colony are all specialized for certain functions and connected to each other.
- The individuals of the colony are called zooids and many zooids with individual siphonal openings cover the surface of the colony.
- Even in the earliest stages of new growth, complete reversals in budding directions of zooids are evident.
- Example sentences
- Therefore, the two growth constants, isochronous growth levels and simultaneous secretion across shared zooidal boundaries, apply to primary cystiphragm-cortex units.
- The rest of the colony surface, including the maculae, is occupied by kenozooids with thick walls forming polygonal ridges at zooidal boundaries, the ridges occasionally prolonged into short apertural spines.
- Large cystiphragmconstricted zooidal void spaces, a low overall proportion of zooecial space, and a low overall proportions of space taken up by cystiphragms.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: zooid
Definition of zooid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.