noun[mass noun] Biology
- Plankton consisting of small animals and the immature stages of larger animals.More example sentences
- They typically eat insects and floating vegetable matter but their diet also includes zooplankton, aquatic insect larvae, and worms.
- These species are small-bodied, cold water species that are generalist feeders on planktivorous zooplankton and benthic organisms.
- Oil and gas was formed around 100 million years ago when tiny marine plants and animals called phytoplankton and zooplankton floated on the sea's surface.
More definitions of zooplanktonDefinition of zooplankton in:
- The US English dictionary