Definition of zwitterion in English:
A molecule or ion having separate positively and negatively charged groups.
- Further experiments will address the problem of how many water molecules are required to facilitate and stabilise charge transfer to the zwitterion.
- In these studies we have immobilized a wide range of hydrophobic zwitterions onto a reversed-phase chromatographic support to produce the desired zwitterionic stationary phase.
- As a result, gramicidin does not form a zwitterion or become charged at any pH, explaining its poor solubility in water.
Early 20th century: from German, from Zwitter 'a hybrid' + Ion 'ion'.
- Example sentences
- It is this combination of experiment and theory that provides a new and detailed picture of the specific interaction between sodium ions and zwitterionic lipid molecules.
- Another significant factor may be the difference in charge between the buffer salts; phosphate is anionic whereas Tris is cationic and zwitterionic.
- The main goal of the present article is to evaluate atomistic molecular dynamics simulations as tools for investigating monolayers of zwitterionic and anionic phospholipids.
Definition of zwitterion in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan