A group of insects which comprises the damselflies. Compare with Anisoptera.
- Suborder Zygoptera, order Odonata.
- Phenological records for 29 species (six Zygoptera and 23 Anisoptera) from nine genera occurring in Yukon and BC were found (in usable form) in Walker, Walker and Corbet and Cannings.
- Assuming a relatively constant rate of change at the molecular level, our data indicate an ancient split between extant Zygoptera and Anisoptera + Epiophlebia.
- Despite the diversity of insects consumed, only the proportion of Zygoptera larvae in the diet differed between reproductive periods.
zygopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- The eyes of zygopterans are generally situated further apart than with most anisopterans.
- A construction of the fertilisation and copulatory events is proposed based on descriptive and experimental evidence in other zygopterans as well as in this species.
- As the individual warmed, it moved to the sunlit side of the plant to take on the normal zygopteran posture, posture 2, where only the legs touched the substrate.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek zugon 'yoke' + pteron 'wing'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Zyg|op¦tera
Definition of Zygoptera in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.