- 1An Afrikaans-speaking white person in South Africa, especially one descended from the Dutch and Huguenot settlers of the 17th century.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In my academic posting here I report a study of South African Afrikaners (whites of Dutch origin).
- After 1845, the Pedi also had to contend with an influx of white Afrikaner settlers, some of whom seized Pedi children and forced them to work as slaves.
- Key innovators were often British settlers, but Afrikaners, still the predominant landowners, were drawn into the commercial pastoral economy.
- 2South African A gladiolus native to southern Africa.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Gladiolus and related genera, family Iridaceae
- Homoglossum watsoninum (red Afrikaner) is a gladiolus-like plant that can grow to a metre tall.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They represented our country with the notion that Afrikanerdom and the Lord would get them through.
- His role as lecturer in what was a bastion of Afrikanerdom is of fairly recent origin.
- This rule by the generals was wholly unacceptable to the great notables of Afrikanerdom.
Afrikaans, from South African Dutch Africander, from Dutch Afrikaan 'an African' + the personal suffix -der, on the pattern of Hollander 'Dutchman'.
Más definiciones de AfrikanerDefinición de Afrikaner en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.