(also Copernican theory)
- The theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system, with the planets (including the earth) orbiting round it. Compare with Ptolemaic system.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We are in the position of medieval astronomers who fear that if the Copernican theory of the solar system is true, ‘the earth’ as we have conceived it does not exist.
- He also became an advocate of the controversial Copernican theory of the solar system, which he often defended in public debates.
- Making the orbits elliptical made the Copernican system more accurate.
mid 17th century: named after Copernicus (see Copernicus, Nicolaus).
Más definiciones de Copernican systemDefinición de Copernican system en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.