- (1599–1658), English general and statesman, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth 1653-8. Cromwell was the leader of the victorious Parliamentary forces (or Roundheads) in the English Civil War. As head of state he styled himself Lord Protector, and refused Parliament’s offer of the Crown in 1657. His rule was notable for its puritan reforms in the Church of England. He was briefly succeeded by his son Richard (1626–1712), who was forced into exile in 1659.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Nearly 7000 Irish were transported to the island during the Cromwellian period.
- Current projects include the Swan, a small Cromwellian warship, which was lost off the west of Scotland in 1653.
- Both these Kerry martyrs, executed in 1653 during the Cromwellian period, are awaiting beatification.
Más definiciones de Cromwell, OliverDefinición de Cromwell, Oliver en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.