sword of Damocles
- Used to refer to an extremely precarious situation.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- James Sugden, the managing director of Johnstons, one of Scotland's leading cashmere manufacturers, said: ‘This threat still hangs over us like a sword of Damocles.’
- Looming disaster hangs over the first act like the sword of Damocles, but though there is a frisson as you watch these seemingly unaware people wander round oblivious to the events ahead, things really kick off in the second act.
- Christmas day duty, which was being held over our head like a fiscal sword of Damocles, would be no different than any other day.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He had won several trophies during his six-year tenure, and had guided the club into this season's CL, yet this was insufficient to stay the Damoclean sword.
- Since 1996 he's had no health problems, but he knows the Damoclean sword is dangling over him and could fall at any time.
- Within this ideology, the function of legislation and the legal system is to enable investigation, uncover signs of suspicious deviance, and create Damoclean legal threats for targeted political associations.