Definición de Dolly Varden en inglés:
1 (also Dolly Varden hat) A large hat with one side drooping and with a floral trimming, formerly worn by women.
- Doubtless also they deck out their mothers and wives and sisters in serge gowns and Dolly Varden hats.
- She had on a green Dolly Varden hat with a crimson plume.
- The bridesmaids wore full picture dresses of pale green organza with silver stripe, Dolly Varden hats in organdie to match and they carried bouquets of white roses and lilies of the valley.
2A brightly spotted edible charr (fish) occurring in fresh water on both sides of the North Pacific.
- Salvelinus malma, family Salmonidae
- However, southern Dolly Varden originating from nonlake systems must seek a lake in which to winter.
- In 1980, scientists discovered that bull trout and Dolly Vardens are slightly different species.
- Freshwater Dolly Varden can live to be as old as 16 and most spend their lives in streams or lakes.
late 19th century: from the name of a character in Dickens's Barnaby Rudge, who wore a similar hat.
Definición de Dolly Varden en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan