- A country occupying the eastern part of the island of Timor in the southern Malay Archipelago; population 1,131,600 (est. 2009); capital, Dili; languages, Portuguese, Indonesian, English, and indigenous languages. Official name Timor Leste.
Formerly a Portuguese colony, the region declared itself independent in 1975. In 1976 it was invaded by Indonesia, which annexed and claimed it as the 27th state of Indonesia, a claim which was never recognized by the United Nations. The region became the scene of bitter fighting and of alleged mass killings by the Indonesian government and military forces. East Timor gained full independence following a referendum in 1999 and a formal declaration by the United Nations in 2002
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And it has also been a very special trip because of the wonderful East Timorese independence celebrations.
- The cattle have been paid for by East Timorese supporters in New Zealand and are being donated to three different villages.
- Hear this East Timorese musician play live on the breakfast show on the eve of his solo album launch.
Más definiciones de East TimorDefinición de East Timor en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.