- 1A native or inhabitant of the Gilbert Islands.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- On Tokelau it is blamed on an infected Gilbertese.
- In 1974 the Ellice Islanders, who are of Polynesian descent, voted to separate from the Micronesian Gilbertese.
- 2 [mass noun] The Micronesian language spoken in the Gilbert Islands (see Kiribati).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The I-Kiribati language, sometimes referred to as Gilbertese, is a Micronesian language in the Austronesian family and is spoken in a relatively uniform manner throughout the islands.
- Many Tuvaluans are competent in Samoan, which functioned as the language of church and (to a lesser extent) government until recently, as well as Gilbertese, the dominant language of the colony for seven decades.