Definición de Gurkha en inglés:
1A member of any of several peoples of Nepal noted for their military prowess.
- Give just and fair recognition, yes; but, while automatic citizenship may reward the individual, is it actually doing something good for the Gurkhas - and Nepal as a nation?
- Meanwhile, up on the spur itself the Gurkhas and Pathans moved in to oust the Tibetans from their stone defences and on the right flank opposite Ottley's Mounted Infantry did the same.
- When Lumley's parents wanted to talk privately, they would speak very fast, her mother conversing in Urdu and her father, a Gurkha, answering in Gurkhali.
1.1A member of a regiment in the British army established specifically for Nepalese recruits in the mid 19th century.
- Most Gurkhas return to Nepal - which is currently in the midst of a Maoist insurgency - at the end of their service.
- Britain's Ministry of Defense argues that the pension rates for Gurkha soldiers are more than adequate, as most Gurkhas retire back to Nepal where the cost of living is much lower than in Britain.
- Former Gurkhas from Nepal who served with the British Army yesterday accused the Ministry of Defence of ‘irrational and discriminatory’ treatment over their pay and conditions.
name of a locality, from Sanskrit gorakṣa 'cowherd' (from go 'cow' + rakṣ- 'protect'), used as an epithet of their patron deity.
Definición de Gurkha en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary