The Spaniards explored the area in 1499, and the Dutch settled there in the 17th century. It was occupied by the British from 1796 and established, with adjacent areas, as the colony of British Guiana in 1831. In 1966 it became an independent Commonwealth state
from an American Indian word meaning 'land of waters'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I say Caribbean, not Trini, because the flags and bandanas we saw represented were dominated by Jamaican, Barbadian, Guyanese, and other non-Trinidadian colors.
- While we were going through immigration on the Guyanese border I saw this grasshopper that was about three inches in length and I ‘persuaded’ it into crawling onto my hand.
- The family who owns and runs the restaurant lives upstairs, so don't be surprised to see some Guyanese children milling in and out periodically to get some advice - or food - from Mummy.
Definición de Guyana en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.