Definición de Hausa en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or Hausas)
1A member of a people of northern Nigeria and adjacent regions.
- The Hausas dominate Nigeria's north, the Yorubas the southwest.
- The Africans began to see themselves not as Hausas, Igbos, or Yorubas, but as Nigerians in a common struggle against their colonial rulers.
- Ethnic competition among its major ethnic groups, namely, Hausas, Ibos, and Yorubas, as well as between the major groups and the increasingly restive minorities, remain intractable problems.
2 [mass noun] The Chadic language of the Hausa, spoken by some 30 million people, mainly in Nigeria and Niger, and used as a lingua franca in parts of West Africa.
- In West Africa, Hausa is often the language of choice.
- Over half the population of Niger speak Hausa while an even greater number exist in the northern states of Nigeria.
- In northern Nigeria many people who are not ethnic Hausas speak both Hausa and their own tribal language.
adjetivoVolver al principio
Relating to the Hausa or their language.
- Ibrahim broke with tradition again when she chose a White person - or bature, in the Hausa language - as her second husband.
- In the Hausa language, for instance, there is no word for a woman who has reached adulthood but has never been married.
- I came away with a pocketful of Hausa crosses¹ and some heavy old copper ankle bracelets which I hoped dated back to the time when copper formed the coinage of bartering.
the name in Hausa.
Definición de Hausa en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary