- 1Relating to or in the style of Homer or the epic poems ascribed to him.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Through the centuries the Homeric epics have influenced writers and philosophers of many different countries.
- Much more recently, Harold Bloom has written eloquently on the Homeric qualities of Tolstoy's last novel, ‘Hadji Murad’.
- However, in contrast to the Homeric poems, where the actions of mythical heroes provided lessons for human behaviour, tragedy does not yield easy answers.
- 1.1Relating to Bronze Age Greece as described in the Homeric poems: the mists of the Homeric ageMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The crux of this issue rests on whether or not there are sufficient similarities in the structures of Mycenaean and Homeric society to warrant comparison.
- Our beginning is Greece, Homeric Greece perhaps.
- Since for the Greeks of the Homeric age existence on its barest terms would have been intolerable, they showed a heroic artistic instinct in turning their battle-bound lives into a spectacle.
- 1.2Epic and large-scale: some of us exert a Homeric effortMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One report described the goal as Homeric.
- As for the celebratory dishes they are almost of Homeric proportions and some of them little known elsewhere in Greece.
- That's a Homeric achievement in a strongman contest, where events are designed to test pressing, hoisting, pulling, pushing and crushing power, combined with full-body strength, all of which take years to develop.
via Latin from Greek Homērikos, from Homēros (see Homer).