Definición de Joneses en inglés:
plural sustantivo(usually the Joneses)
A person’s neighbours or social equals.
- I'm not sure which is the more amusing, though: neighbours twitching curtains to spy on the Joneses next door, or the antics of otherwise respectable citizens who view their insurance contracts as a better bet than the lottery.
- The culture of the Smith business matters to the Smiths and the Jones' culture matters to the Joneses.
- And to be on the bleeding edge of hip, people instinctively look for ‘the next thing,’ in order to be always seen as a leader, an early adopter, to distinguish oneself from the Joneses.
late 19th century: from Jones, a commonly found British surname.
keep up with the Joneses
- Try to emulate or not be outdone by one’s neighbours.Example sentences
- If you are guilty of the sin of jealousy, you have this redeeming feature: you want what your neighbor has so much that you will struggle to keep up with the Joneses.
- There is an element of keeping up with the Joneses, where people are constantly looking at their neighbours to see how they are doing.
- You are bombarded with this stuff - money will make you happy, and keeping up with the Joneses.
Definición de Joneses en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan