Romans, Arabs, Crusaders, and Turks dominated the area successively until it was made a British protectorate in 1916 and achieved independence in 1946. During the war of 1948-9 that followed the establishment of the state of Israel, Jordan took over the area of the West Bank; this was recovered by Israel in the Six Day War of 1967, after which many Palestinian refugees entered the country. A peace treaty with Israel was signed in 1994, ending an official state of war between the two countries
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The mukhabarat eavesdrops with the help of evidently thousands of Jordanians on its payroll, similar to the informant networks in the Soviet bloc.
- And there will be a liaison intelligence service report, say from the Jordanians, saying we have a source who says the following.
- And I can tell you that we Jordanians, we get mad and we get even and these people will be brought to justice.
Definición de Jordan en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.