Liberia was founded in 1822 as a settlement for freed slaves from the US, and was proclaimed independent in 1847. Indigenous peoples, however, form the majority of the population. In 1980 a coup overthrew the predominant Liberian-American elite, and a civil war began in 1990, ending with a ceasefire in 1996
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- To add insult to injury, Alice now lives with her mother and siblings in a tiny corner of the country's largest football stadium, now home to over 50,000 displaced Liberians.
- Liberian Independence Day is July 26, and most of these Liberians say they've lost family and fortune in Liberia's more than 14 years of conflict.
- Voters enthusiastically supported their favorite candidates, and there was plenty to celebrate as Liberians went peacefully to the polls in October and November.
from Latin liber 'free'.
Más definiciones de LiberiaDefinición de Liberia en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.