- 1 (the Mafia) [treated as singular or plural] An organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioural code.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Where Mafia and drug barons rule, investigators of any kind become targets.
- Under Italian criminal law it is a criminal offence to be a member of the Mafia.
- Women in the Mafia have been documented as a rising trend in Italy's criminal underworld.
- 1.1 (mafia) Any organized group of criminals resembling the Mafia in its way of operating: the rise of criminal mafias in Russian and Eastern EuropeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Smuggling, bribery, protection rackets and the rise of criminal mafias are some of the common symptoms of rigidly controlled economies.
- Often sex rackets and drug mafias operate under the veil of these centres.
- There must be a solid hierarchy and system of protection safeguarded by organized crime syndicates or mafia.
- 1.2 (mafia) A group regarded as exerting a hidden sinister influence: the British literary mafiaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Leaving the court mafia intact would make the fight against corruption useless.
- Thieves, vandals, and con artists appeared, and online mafias emerged.
- Sandalwood mafias thrive due to the political patronage.
Italian (Sicilian dialect), originally in the sense 'bragging'.
Más definiciones de MafiaDefinición de Mafia en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.